Wanna Recharge Your Writing? Consider attending a conference.
Last weekend my critique partners and I went to the Lakefly Literary Conference in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Here are thirteen of my favorite conference memories.
1. The keynote speaker for Saturday, Hallie Ephron encouraged us to press on in her talk The Writing Life: Are We Having Fun Yet?(I’m going to share thirteen of her inspiring comments next week in another blog at http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/)
2. After Hallie’s talk, we had a blast learning about the Wonderbra approach—how to put our best stuff up front, a class about story beginnings, Patricia Kilday lead an interactive activity where we as the audience got to vote on successful story starts. Then she gave us a chance to write our own and present it. I think she writes The Escape Diaries as Juliet Rosetti.
3. In the next session, we picked up tips in How to Read So People Will Listen. Barry Wightman, who is a voice actor as well as a writer, read the opening of Moby Dick as the dark literary tale it’s meant to be. Then he read it in the tones of a romantic comedy and as an over-the-top sales pitch. Each was it’s own you-had-to-be-there moment.
4. And then it was time for lunch. The salad was really good.
5. My critique partner, Linda took Third Place with the beginning of her second novel, Everything Essential.
6. Here she is actually holding her award.
7. Linda’s a very talented writer and she proudly took her place beside the other award winning writers.
8. These cupcakes were the dessert. I selected a chocolate mint one and discovered it had luscious cream inside.
10. After lunch, Dixie Jarchow, author of The Love Thief, discussed different approaches to plot our novels. The Snowflake Method, Mind Mapping and 250 Questions were just a few of the methods she presented.
11. Did I mention there were books to buy? And door prizes?