Hi, Mia and I connected over our love for all things zombie. We decided to swap blogs for the day. I’m here and she is over at mine. I write what is referred to as zompoc romance. They are romance novels set in the zombie apocalypse. I fell in love with the zombie books by Carrie Ryan, Dana Fredsti, Rhiannon Frater, Mira Grant, and Bonnie Dee and decided to write one of my own. It was so exciting to find out women could write zombie books! When I started Love in the Time of Zombies the Walking Dead television show wasn’t even on yet.
I’ve just started putting the Time of Zombies series into audio book format so Mia asked if I would talk about that:
I have most of my contemporary romances already in audio book, but I’m just starting with the zombie books. Some things were the same no matter the genre and some things worked out differently.
- You need a narrator. I know that some authors narrate their own books. Trust me when I say that you DO NOT want to listen to my voice for six hours. It could turn you into a zombie. If I ever write a writing how-to book I may narrate it myself…maybe.
- Love your narrator. If, like me, you are using the same narrator for the whole series, you must love listening to the man or woman talk for hours and hours. I used a female for my Lake Willowbee series books but I put the call out for male or female for the zombie books so I had more choices to choose from. Maxwell Zener won me over from the first sentence. And yes, I love him! Just don’t tell my husband. 😊
- Use ACX (Audiobook Creation Exchange) You don’t have to use ACX but if you are just starting out it seems the simplest way to go. They send your audio books to Amazon, Audible, and iTunes. You claim your books, pick details (more below), audition narrators, let ACX deal with contracts and details.
- Choose how you make money. I won’t go into all the details here because the FAQ at ACX.com are excellent, but basically, you choose Royalty Share or Payment Upfront. RS is no money from you but you share the royalties earned. This is great if you are a little lean in the pocket staring out, for starving zombie authors. Upfront means you get all the royalties without sharing, but you have to pay the narrator PFH (Per Finished Hour) and the good ones are expensive. For my contemporary romance novellas, I paid $100 an hour.
- Plan for the future. Even if you aren’t earning big bucks today. When you decide on how to earn the money at ACX ask yourself what am I willing to share? If you hit the NYT bestseller list with your book and start selling boatloads of books, eBooks, and audio books, are you willing to share the windfall with your narrator? If you aren’t, you may want to do the Upfront Payment. I’ve done both methods for different books and both have pros and cons.
- Last note: if I could start over I would wait until I had a series at least 3 books in before I went into audio book. Just like in eBooks and paperbacks, readers like having a series to read or listen to, one book after another.
Book 1 Love in the Time of Zombies is available in eBook, print, and audio.
Book 2 The Zombie Hunter’s Wife is available in eBook, print, and in audio production.
Book 3 A Time to Kill Zombies is available in eBook, print, and in audio production.
Book 4 Zombies in the Grass is a work in process and due out Summer 2017
Rogue Vantage is a short story set in the Time of Zombies world. Download for FREE at http://dl.bookfunnel.com/32njghjbkr
You can reach me at: